Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Fade Out in "A House Is Not A Motel"

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hypnotised Dog Posted - 10/10/2004 : 05:25:56
I have read comments on the web about the original A House Is Not A Motel that ends abruptly instead of the fade out on the current Forever Changes CD (remastered w/bonus tracks). In fact, I also possess a Japanese press CD (not remastered) that I bought in the mid-90s (that lists the published date as 1987) that also has the fade-out.

Can anyone shed light on this matter ... does anyone have in their possession the one with the abrupt end? When did the fade-out versions start appearing? Whose decision was it to fade it out?

Hypnotised Dog
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Joe Morris Posted - 16/09/2011 : 07:02:15
the longer "Mushroom clouds" is on the mono Love, see the Elektra Traditions release of that album with the mono/stereo

Think "Emotions" is a little longer in stereo, I forget offhand
Joe Morris Posted - 16/09/2011 : 07:00:39
see Love Elektra Masters
snakelake Posted - 15/09/2011 : 19:54:50
if anyone has this abrupt version in a digital file...PLEASE forward it to me via my email address:

snakelake44@shaw.ca

I'd love to get a copy to Johnny - he does not have this version either

Cheers
snakelake Posted - 15/09/2011 : 19:53:14
Hold on here a second folks!

I purchased a Greek pressing in around 1984 which did NOT fade out. This had what sounded to me like someone grabbing the 2" reel and stopping the song abruptly during the tag solo at the end (in my opinion a FAR SUPERIOR ENDING!)

This has bothered me for years cuz it fades out all of the time and this version was the bomb! Very recently, I spoke with Johnny Echols and he was kind enough to answer my questions about this epic tune!

Read on:

Doug Smith: Johnny...thanks so much for the add. Your sunny disposition & musical might has been a real refreshing and influential force on me. I do have a question that I would hope you could answer about the track "A House is Not a Motel" - I had a Greek pressing of FOREVER CHANGES years ago when the record was out of print in Canada (approx 1984). The tune did NOT fade out as it seems to in subsequent reissues...but rather ended with what sounds like someone grabbing the 2" reel and stopping it with their hand...this is after the mesmerizing solo you just rip our spines out with at the end of the song and when the tape is stopped like that it really jolts the listener & kinda adds to the effect of the cataclysmic nature of the song & album...was this intentional? Was that the way it was supposed to be originally, and the powers to be, in their infinite wisdom (?) "fixed" it going forward? I hope I am not being irritating for asking. Cheers!

Johnny Echols: Hey Doug, thanks for the kind words. "A House is Not a Motel" was originally supposed to end abruptly with no warning. Which was meant to signify the fleeting nature of life, one moment you're here, the next you're gone. But the folks at Elektra decided that might cause problems with the radio stations, so they decided to fade the ending.

So, put THAT into your pipe n smoke it - SEEK THIS VERSION OUT!!!! So awesome!

Cheers!

Doug
Hypnotised Dog Posted - 02/11/2004 : 02:27:18
Thanks to all who replied to my post!

So the facts that we have are:

The original vinyl press of Forever Changes had the fade out for A House Is Not A Motel.

The '71 reprint of the album had the abrupt end.

So far to my knowledge, all CD pressings have the fade out.

That means the abrupt end was an error in mixing! So in a way I am happy that the CD presses got it right. BUT to those who have the abrupt ending version, that IS a collectible so hang on to it!

bluecap Posted - 01/11/2004 : 12:20:46
Well my man, maybe a little late with reply here, as other people have got to you before me, thats life but.
I have dug out the 1967 orignal vinly (UK) and on my one the track fades.
But thanks for getting me to dig out all those old sounds I havent played for years on a LP, Love, Spirit, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Moby Grape and list goes on and have spent many a happy night listning to this wonderful music in a very mellow mood all due to you my man.
Love

the news today will be the movies of tomorrow
Conrad Conrad Posted - 31/10/2004 : 09:23:50
Uh, never mind.

I made a fairly blatant error here. While I can play back Forever Changes (among other Love albums) pretty much note for note in my head, I get the song titles mixed up. And that's what I did here. The ending I described actually is The Good Humor Man, which seems to be pretty much the same on the original LP and later CD versions.

So I pulled out my original LP (purchased on release) and actually listened to it while reading the labels to make sure my poor old brain didn't pull any more tricks.

A House Is Not a Motel does fade out on the original LP. In fact, the fade on the Love Story version actually goes on a little bit longer (I don't have the latest remaster of FC handy for comparison) so you can hear a little high pitched guitar twiddling that was not audible on the LP.

Sorry about creating more confusion.

Conrad
Hypnotised Dog Posted - 31/10/2004 : 05:01:56
Thanks Conrad! Does the randomly spliced ending sound 'confusing' like the ending to The Good Humor Man? If so, that's cool. I sure wish I could hear it.

The million dollar question still is ... who was responsible for the fade out?
Conrad Conrad Posted - 28/10/2004 : 07:48:46
I have the original vinyl. The song ended with a sort of strange jerky sound. It sounded like the tape had gotten mangled or something (actually, I now know it sounded like the tape had been cut up and randomly spliced back together just for a few seconds). At first I thought my record had a skip but found that they were all like that. It was actually kind of cool & I think it was a mistake to smooth it out.

Conrad
Lizzyb Posted - 27/10/2004 : 15:57:56
and mushroom clouds finished with an accoustic bit which seems to have been lost

Keep on shining
Hypnotised Dog Posted - 24/10/2004 : 06:09:02
Thanks man! Could you tell me the duration of the track with the abrupt end? ... just to satisfy my curiosity.

In your opinion do you prefer the abrupt end or the fade out?

Hypnotised Dog
BobbyFischer Posted - 22/10/2004 : 16:54:11
I have the first reissue from 71 and it ends abruptly.Dont know if its intended or not since i havent heard the original vinyl,i guess its a mixing mistake but im far from sure.
Hypnotised Dog Posted - 21/10/2004 : 08:12:14
Hmm ... there's really no one who knows about the fade out?

Anyone out there who owns the original vinyl of Forever Changes? Or perhaps reissues from the 70s?

Thanks!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page