New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2011 :  23:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many or most are in Torb's extensive library, I just thought it would be fun to post them all here...

In no particular order, so don't get on my case...just for fun. We can do another thread for album jackets

Edited by - lemonade kid on 15/09/2011 23:57:59

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  00:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harvest and Blue Thumb....now those really were the days! I wonder why Arthur kept blowing it with record companies. The story goes that Bob Krasnow had told him that if False Start failed to chart, he would drop Love from the label. Arthur then asked if he could have that in writing! I remember during the 1974 tour, I think, Arthur saying that he would quite like to get back with Elektra (which of course by then had become David Geffen's hugely successful Elektra/Asylum)...after being fired by Columbia....to say nothing of losing money for A&M? - fat chance! But then that was the Arthur we loved....always gloriously unpredictable. Great pictures, LK.

PS I hadn't realised that the Stand Out single had at least two other B-sides in different countries. I'm sure that we got the edited version of Doggone in the UK. It was always on my student coffee bar juke box.

Edited by - John9 on 16/09/2011 00:42:02
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  01:42:47  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Do not think A & M really supported the 1974 tour. All we saw of them was a large foldup display board about 4 panels of 6x4 ft. We (the road crew) were told to make sure it was displayed in the foyer of every gig. I think it lasted about 3 gigs before it accidentally ? got left behind. I know it was there at the Rainbow gig, I remember seeing it. I think Alpert turned up at one gig. I remember after the tour was over the manager of the support band Casablanca was saying how much the tour had cost him and Rocket records ( Casablanca's record label) so maybe it did not cost A & M much. I wonder if Rocket just got Arthur over on the cheap for the tour to help promote Casablanca. Whole tour seemed to be done on the cheap, shared equipment and crew, cheap hotels, no meals paid for except for continental breakfast (roll and butter and a cup of tea) could not even afford transformers for the american 120 volt equipment which is why John's effects pedal ended up fried.
Harvey the Roadie
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2011 :  02:01:57  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Top pic is another of Arthur and the maraccas. The pair on 74 tour belonged to the support band and every night he would throw them into the audience at the end of the set and I had to go and get them back again. Bruce his manager and everybody else asked him not to do it but every night, last song, last chord and .................... I think the only gig he didn't do it was at the Rainbow as he thought he a) might not reach the audience as there is a large orchestra pit between the stage and the audience or b) he thought he might fall in the pit as Zappa had done before. He had spent most of the set teasing me that he was going to jump/fall into the pit as I was standing at the side of the stage behind the PA stack. I teased him that I was going to rush on stage and grab him. He seemed quite happy that evening and it was a good gig as you can hear on the tape I made for him that got leaked and has been around for many years.
Harvey the Roadie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page